Berg River 8th – 10th November 2019
Our theme for this weekend was Kaapse Style.
Upon arrival on Friday, it was quite windy but not cold. Everyone had settled in, whilst making their own fires but due to the wind they had to attend to their fires.
We had a variety of breads and everyone was quite surprised as to the amount of breads there were. I think that every family had enough for the weekend and for the week ahead. Everybody tasted the charcoal bread but the favourite this weekend was the seed loaf bread.
On Saturday morning, same weather but it was not as windy and everyone did their own thing throughout the whole of the Saturday. Then came Saturday evening, we had our Rootie evening where every person participated in rolling out their own rooties and everyone enjoyed themselves. The evening all gathered again around the fires and started sharing their stories. I think that everybody had a blast and by 12am everyone went back their tents.
This was basically a training exercise for everyone to make and roll out their own rooties at home or for future camps.
Thank you everybody for making this weekend so lekker.
Die Kaapse Style
Love from Gilbert's family
Attendees: Gilbert, Hendricks Jurgens, Labuschagne, Liederman, Manuel, Murray, Pietersen, Shaw, Sinden, Simons, Smith, & Williams
Apologies: Arulandu, Cable, Carelse, De Kock, Lawrence, Saffier, Sasman/White, Scholtz , Vicars
Visitors: Hylton & Jeanette Roger, Evan & Joan Lodewyk, Mali & Ngaa-Ten-Dew, David
Congratulations to the following people on your birthdays!
Name Surname Date
Ann Jessop 18 Nov
Clint Lawrence 27 Nov
Cherie Williams 28 Nov
Logan Saffier 1 Dec
Dwayne Gilbert 3 Dec
Desireè Arulandu 5 Dec
Penelope Carelse 10 Dec
Thanks to our hosts, Terrence and Henrietta for the awesome experience of tasting a variety of breads and rolling our own rooties!
Leon gave Marty to Terrence in appreciation of them hosting such an enjoyable event.
1. Christmas Outspan:
Meal proposal was accepted – variety of meats and salads.
Volunteers to assist with preparations once we have the number of attendees
Visitors to pay R60 for the Christmas meal.
The club will pay for the Christmas meal and reimburse any costs.
2. We requested any cash donations instead of toiletries be marked clearly as CHARITY.
3. Brag boards – please advise Bronwyn via Whatsapp if you need a board. This will also be put on the group.
4. A suggestion from Wayne – Trekkers Camp Calendar with emergency contact numbers for Road Assist, repairs, etc
5. Leighton thanked everyone on behalf of Benny. His medical scan results were clear.
6. Worcester Yacht Club – cost per night per site R380 for waterfront sites and R340 for standard sites for 29th November – 1st Dec 2019. The booking could not be honoured as WYC had hired out all sites previously booked.
1. Tietiesbaai was proposed as a back to basics camp for 24th to 26th January 2020.
2. Leighton mentioned Blikkies Camp, which was not viewed favourably.
Tips for Campers:
1. Check your wheel nuts.
2. The first instinct is to apply brakes during a crisis. Do not apply brakes, as you will increase the swerving of the vehicle.
3. When purchasing tyres always check the make and the expiry date.
4. No passengers are allowed in the back of an extended vehicle while towing unless it has approved seat belts.
Fines Master: – was Don
FINES: - (R3-00)
Robbie - on his wife’s arrival he had a tray with chocolates and a drink on a tray but
nothing for the other ladies at the camp
John – for losing his keys
Sandra – for taking so long to find them
Hilton – he let us use his braai but we had to sit in the cold afterwards with no fire
Renee + Jenny – for talking about a cronje only to be told by someone else its called a kraantjie (not sure of spelling here it’s a box wine)
Wayne – for only braaing one beef pattie and Gen had to braai her own
Lionel – for keeping Danie out of his sleep
Sandra – for not knowing Charlene’s name
Robbie, Karen, Sandra, John – for trying to guess who the fine master is
Merlin – for trying to put coffee in a mug upside down
Robbie – for seeing lightning
Bennie – for putting a rope around his grandson
Robbie – for his very graphic sound effects of his and Karen’s first kiss
Terrence, Robbie, John - for sharing very detailed first dates about their spouses
Ngaa - for falling asleep at the fire Saturday night
Terrence – for chasing us all away at 12am
WOODEN SPOON – (R10-00)
Gawie – Never fails to amaze us with his gadgets and camping gear throughout the year but how he managed to put his 2 visitors in such a small tent was an achievement only he could pull off so he gets the wooden spoon
Remember folks the issue of fines is a fun event and all proceeds go to charity